Airlines that Allow Flying with an Emotional Support Dog 2021
However, rules have changed from this year’s start.
The Department of Transportation no longer offers protection to emotional support animals. Now it’s all up to the airways to allow ESA on their planes or not.
It is possible that,
You can find yourself in a position standing at the Airport with your cute little ESA, and the airline won’t allow you to carry your ESA with you on the plane.
To save yourself from this type of heartbreak and embarrassment, you should know whether the airline you are booking will allow your ESA to fly with you.
Let’s say you are planning to take your pup for a short flight, and you consider JetBlue fit for the instance. The first thing you should know before traveling is “if Jetblue emotional support animals are permitted to be on board or not.”
In this blog, we will provide you with information regarding which airlines allow ESA on their planes. Other than this, we will try to answer your additional queries related to ESA flights.
Read to know more!
Why are some airlines not allowing ESA’s?
- A survey conducted in 2017 stated that almost 61% of flight attendants were unhappy due to disturbance caused by the airline’s emotional support animal. Most of them mentioned trouble due to the aggressive and violent behavior of ESA’s.
- In an incident of ESA American airlines, a pet newly designated as an emotional support animal was flying with its owner when it bit the flight attendant. The condition of the flight attendant went serious and for the same she received five stitches. It raised several questions on the allowance of traveling with an emotional support animal on flights.
- In 2019, a person was flying with an emotional support dog on a Delta airlines plane. Out of nowhere, the dog attacked an innocent Alabama man. He suffered from extensive facial damage. That is why he sued the airlines for allowing emotional support dogs flying without any care and precautions.
Due to this misbehavior of emotional support animals on flights, from January 2021, DOT( department of transportation) gave the green light to airlines for banning ESA’s.
With this new federal rule, airlines have the power to decide whether to allow ESA on planes or not.
Which airlines banned emotional support dogs on planes?
Many airlines were getting complaints due to emotional support animals flying on their planes. That is why most airlines banned ESA. Here is the list of airlines that banned ESA’s:
Airlines of North America:
- China Eastern Airlines
- China Southern Airlines
- Air China
- Air New Zealand
- All Nippon Airways
- Eva Air
- Korean Air
- Qatar Airways
- Turkish Airlines
- Cathay Pacific
What type of animals do airlines allow?
- The best emotional support animals to travel with are those weighing 20 lbs or Less.
- You can fly with your ESA dog by paying a moderate amount of fee.
- Some airlines allow pets to travel with you, but only in the cargo portion.
- Some airlines don’t allow pets in any condition.
Therefore it is advisable to contact airlines before booking a flight with an ESA.
All American airlines are still obliged to accept Psychiatric Service Dogs.
A psychiatric service dog helps to alleviate symptoms of a person’s disability. They are different from ESA in that service dogs are trained to help people with some kind of disability.
What airlines allow emotional support animals in 2021?
“Where are emotional support animals allowed?”
Here is the list of all the airlines that allow emotional support dogs, cats, and other ESA’s:
- Air France: Air France accepts ESA’s on board but they require the patient to sign documents for their dog’s responsibility.
- Asiana Air: Flights that are coming to or going to the U.S.
- China Airlines: This is one of the airlines that allow dogs.
- KLM: ESA dogs that are at least four months or older.
- Lufthansa: ESA not more than 8 kg are allowed in flights going to the U.S or coming to the U.S.
- Singapore Air: Singapore Airlines’ pet policy allows emotional support dogs that are four months or older.
We recommend you to call the airlines first before booking your seat on the airlines as mentioned earlier.
Looking to Apply for an ESA Letter for Your Pet
Get Started by following these Steps:
1. Start FIlling up the ESA Evaluation form with your details.
2. Get Evaluated by a Local ESA Doctor once the submission is complete.
3. Get Approved and Receive your Letter In Your Email.
How can I travel with my pet on friendly emotional support animals airlines?
Things you should keep in mind before flying with your ESA:
- Call your airlines and double-check if they accept ESA on their plane.
- You require an emotional support animal letter for flying from a legitimate ESA therapist. Click to get your ESA letter, Now!
- Book a comfortable spot for your ESA so that they don’t get anxious while flying.
- Ensure if your pet is in a healthy condition to fly.
We can keep hope in the future that lawmakers will come up with some middle road that can allow airlines emotional support animals by not compromising on the safety of travelers. Till then, you can fly with your ESA on ESA permitted flights.
About Post Author
Darren M. Jorgensen has a fondness for all animals, though dogs especially, have a huge home in his heart. He enjoys quilting, making handcrafted soap and bodyworks and anything that produces practical products. Jorgensen lives with his own service dog who doubles as an Emotional Support Animal. He gets it.