Can a Golden Retriever Become a Perfect Emotional Support Dog?
Publish Date: May 5th, 2021; Author: Darren M. Jorgenson.
A golden retriever is one of the most popular dog breeds and is good at providing love and companionship to its owners. Golden Retriever is a medium-large dog with an instinctive love of water and is easy to train for basic or advanced rules.
Unlike other dogs they have a soft and cuddly nature and love to spend time with their owners. A Golden retriever is a family pet and is suitable as an Emotional Support Animal. They have Straight or wavy coats with light to dark golden shades. Their usual weight is 55 to 75 pounds, and their height is 22 to 24 inches. They tend to be gentle, laid-back, and friendly.
Also Read: Get An Emotional Support Animal Letter
Emotional Support Animal, Service Animal, or a Pet: A golden retriever fits in every category
A golden retriever is a tremendous Emotional Support Animal that can provide humans with companionship and affection. Emotional Support Animals are not just simple pets. As identified by a healthcare professional, they serve a therapeutic purpose for people suffering from any emotional or mental disability. An ESA is not a trained animal but emotional comfort and company to a person with a disability. In contrast, a service animal is provided with specialized training to provide emotional and physical amenities to their owners.
Both Emotional Support Animals or Service Animals provide emotional and mental relief to their owners, but service animals are trained animals to assist their owners with more specified tasks.
A golden retriever is a suitable animal compatible with all the categories such as Emotional Support Animal, Service Animal, or a regular pet.
Benefits of keeping Golden Retriever as ESA’s
There are several benefits of keeping Golden Retrievers as Emotional Support Animals. Some of them are as follow:
- Golden Retrievers can provide comfort for many mental disabilities.
- They have gentle and attentive nature, and they love to work well with children.
- They are usually peaceful and docile dogs, and their enormous size can provide the comfort of safety or security to a person who has PTSD.
- These dogs can help people with depression as they are active, cheerful, and goofy dogs.
- They are pretty emotional dogs and understand an individual’s moods and emotions at the same time.
- Golden Retrievers are protective for their owner.
- These dogs perform their activities that can indulge you for daily living
How to certify your Golden Retriever as an Emotional Support Animal?
To get your pet dog certified as an Emotional Support Animal, you must follow these steps:
- Apply now and get started by filling an online evaluation form with your details along with your mental disability. Submit your evaluation questionnaire online.
- Once you submit your form online, your details will get evaluated by our licensed practitioners, and inform you soon via email for your approval.
- Once you get evaluated by our licensed practitioners, you will receive an approval letter via email. Once you get it, you can save it, and your pet will be certified.
I want to get a Golden Retriever. Where Can I Get One?
Well, if you want to get a Golden Retriever, there are several ways to do it. If you already have a golden retriever as a pet, you can designate them as your ESA by following the steps. First, you must get a recommendation from a licensed physician. Also, if you get an ESA letter and then purchase a Golden Retriever through a breeder or pet store, you can make your pet certified.
You can buy a Golden retriever from Organizations such as the Golden Retriever Club of America and the American Kennel Club.
Training Golden Retrievers to Be Excellent Emotional Support Dog Breeds
As you already know, Emotional Support Animals can not be provided with any specialized training, but to be an Emotional Support Animal, they need to be well behaved. Golden Retrievers are naturally sensitive to people’s emotions. These dogs only need a little bit of training to learn about supporting a mentally and emotionally challenged person. So, here are a few things that you can teach your golden retriever to be a perfect emotional support animal.
- Teach them basic commands: The first thing is that your pet must know some basic commands like sit, stand, start, stop, and jump. If you are in a public place, your dog must listen to your orders and should not make any violence or destruction.
- Teach them bathroom rules: Teaching your dog some bathroom rules can help you not feel embarrassed in public places.
- Teach them to play with props: You can teach your dog to play with props and toys like boomerang and balls.
- Teach them to socialize: Try to mix up your pet with the people, and avoid them from biting and barking loud at others.
Also Read: Get An ESA Letter to Certify Your Pet Today
Golden Retriever is an intelligent Emotional Support Animal that is easy to train, loyal and trustworthy, and are suitable for companionship. Recent studies have proven that persons suffering from mental health problems can benefit from keeping dogs. These dogs are more close to children and love to care, play and cuddle for them. These dogs are naturally sensitive to people that are in pain or hurting, and they need only a little training to be good ESAs.