What is the use of Loratadine for dogs?
Published on: 21/06/2022
100% Money-Back Guarantee
Histamine action due to a bee sting, snake bite, or potent injection constituents can cause redness, swelling, pain, and even elevate a dog’s heartbeat. These allergic reactions due to histamine release can be painful and irritating for your dog. For that reason, most veterinarians recommend Loratadine for dogs to curb the canine skin allergic symptoms.
You might have heard about the use of Loratadine in humans, but only some of you might know that Vets also recommend it for dogs.
Keep reading to learn about Loratadine and “Can dog take Loratadine?”
What is Loratadine used for in dogs?
Loratadine is a new generation antihistamine drug, a member of the class of piperidine antihistamines. It receives massive appreciation in the pharma industry due to its effectiveness against allergic reactions with the least sedative effect, unlike most antihistamines.
The generic Loratadine is usually available in the drug stores under the following names;
As such, no Veterinary formulations of Loratadine have been accessible since this date. Basically, it is available as an over-the-counter drug for the treatment of a wide range of skin allergies in dogs.
Use of Loratadine in dogs:
- Allergies: If your dog is allergic to certain food items like fish or some dairy products, or anything else, a vet can recommend Loratadine for your dog. You can treat your dog’s allergies caused due to pollens, mites, and even mold spores with the correct Claritin dosage for dogs.
- Bites and Stings: If your dog got stung by a bee, bug, or other insects. You can give Loratadine to the dog to relieve the pain due to swelling and itchiness.
- Vaccination reaction: Vaccines are essential for your dog, but sometimes your dog can face mild allergic reactions due to certain vaccines. For that reason, some vets may give Loratadine to prevent allergic reactions from the vaccine.
- Mast Cell Tumor: The dogs which suffer from cancerous mast cell tumors are also prescribed the Loratadine dog dose for overcoming inflammations caused by the rise in histamine levels in the blood.
Is Loratadine safe for dogs?
As FDA (Food and Drug Administration) doesn’t support loratadine use in dogs, it is most likely to question its safety for dogs. However, veterans prescribe Loratadine for almost every skin reaction initiated by histamine rise in dogs. It is mainly due to factors like:
- It causes the least drowsiness, unlike older antihistamines
- It works at a low dosage,
- It has long-lasting effects.
Along with this, unlike Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®), it hasn’t shown any dangerous effect on the Central Nervous System.
However, despite all the above factors, Loratadine has considerable side effects on dogs, just like any other synthetic medication.
Loratadine side effects:
- Decreased tear production
- Nasal congestion
- Dry mouth
- Diarrhea or constipation
If you give Loratadine at the exact dosage prescribed by your dog’s vet, your dog can safely benefit from the Loratadine.
Below are the listed Loratadine overdose effects on dogs;
- Hyper activeness
- Do not, in any case, give Claritin-D to your dog as due to the presence of Pseudoephedrine, it is fatal for dogs.
- Avoid the use of Loratadine in pregnant dogs.
- Avoid the use of Loratadine in dogs with liver problems.
Therefore, it is best first to discuss the medical history of your dog’s vet if they prescribe Loratadine for your dog.
How much Loratadine can I give my dog?
Loratadine for dogs’ dosage depends on the weight of a dog. The primary dosage varies from 0.1 to 0.55 mg per pound or 0.5 mg to 1 mg per Kg of a dog’s body weight. The vet might ask you to give this dosage once or twice daily. You can purchase this medication from any local drug store.
Note: Don’t give this medication to your dog without a vet’s recommendation.
Loratadine medication treatment duration will depend on factors like the dog’s condition, medication responses in the body, and much more. Even if you see results after a couple of doses, we advise you to complete the treatment duration as your dog’s vet might suggest.
Money Back Guarantee
If not qualified, we offer a 100% Money-Back Guarantee. No Appointments Required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can dogs take Loratadine 10mg?
Is Loratadine poisonous to dogs?
However, medical history and drug interactions play a significant role. Therefore it would be best to give Loratadine only after the vet’s suggestion. Ensure to explain the full medical details of your dog to the vet during the consultation. Under no circumstances give;
- Claritin-D, which contains Pseudoephedrine and,
- Loratadine that has Xytoil; to a dog.
For sure, under the above scenarios, Loratadine can be poisonous to your dog.
Is Loratadine or cetirizine better for dogs?
Why Choose The Fast ESA letter?
At Fast ESA letter, we aim to provide a better life to you through the companionship and love that you attain by the presence of your pet. We are here to assist you in proclaiming your privileges as a pet owner and deal with uncooperative tenant restrictions and outrageous pet deposits.
FAST & SECURE ONLINE ESA EVALUATION
Designed to simplify the process to get a Bona fide ESA Recommendation Letter from Licensed Mental Health Professionals.
Our Simple 3 Step Process For Your ESA Evaluation
1. Fill-up and Submit ESA Evaluation Form Online.
2. Get Evaluated by a Licensed Professional.
3. Get Approved, and Receive Your ESA Letter Instantly via E-mail.
Get An Emotional Support Animal Letter to Certify Your Pet Today
Can Dogs Eat Pecans? Learn Before You Feed! Publish Date: June 2nd, 2020; Author: Blake Quinn. Did you know why Pecans are named Pecans? This word came from the Algonquin tribe's word "Pacane." It means the nut that you need to break with the help of...
What is the use of Famotidine for dogs?Publish Date: May 25th, 2022; Author: Blake Quinn.You can train a dog to sit, stand, run and do other tricks for you, but not to fart and burp.It is most likely to get caught up in a situation when you are...