What is the use of Famotidine for dogs?
What is Famotidine? What is its use in Dogs?
- Gastrointestinal ulcers,
- Acid reflux,
- Esophagus inflammation,
- Stomach inflammation caused due to stress and kidney dysfunction.
- Nausea/Chronic vomiting
- Canine parvovirus
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Pills in the concentration of 10 mg, 20 mg, and 40 mg.
- Powdered material for suspension at 50 mg/5 ml.
- Injectable mainly at 20 mg/50 mL.
Also Read: What Is The Use Of Cefpodoxime For Dogs?
Looking to Apply for an ESA Letter for Your PetGet Started by following these Steps: 1. Start FIlling up the ESA Evaluation form with your details. 2. Get Evaluated by a Local ESA Doctor once the submission is complete. 3. Get Approved and Receive your Letter In Your Email.
How does Famotidine work?
What is the appropriate Famotidine/ Pepcid dosage for dogs?
- Vets recommend famotidine dosage for dogs about 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) weight of dog.
- You should wait for the next dosage for at least 12 to 24 hours.
- Avoid giving the medication at mealtime as food hinders the working of Famotidine.
- Medication won’t work with the same efficiency after two weeks if given regularly.
What are the Famotidine side effects in dogs?
- Dry and rough skin
- Dehydrated mouth
- Facial swelling
- Difficulty in Breathing
- Loose bowels
- A decline in the WBC count
- Poor appetite
- Pale Gums
- Slowed heart rate (From injectable)
Frequently asked questions?
What is Pepcid?
When should I give Pepcid to my dog?
What is the difference between Pepcid and Pepcid AC?
What is the difference between Famotidine and Ranitidine?
Also Read: Dog conjunctivitis: Pink eye in dogs
What are the possible drug interactions with Famotidine?
Till now, Famotidine has been shown to interact with the following drugs and affect their action;
- Iron supplements
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like fluoxetine
- Other acid reflux medications like cisapride
- Heart medications like digoxin
- Azole antifungal medications like fluconazole, ketoconazole,
- Immunosuppressants like cyclosporine
- Few antibiotics like cefuroxime, cefpodoxime
Therefore, if the vet prescribes Famotidine to your dog, it is better to discuss other medications you are already giving to your dog so that the vet can estimate any possible harmful drug interaction in advance.
About Post Author