Is Your Cat Eating Litter? Take these precautions immediately!
However, many kitties’ parents complain that they eat litter from the litter box. To be honest, mostly, it’s not normal. There could be a dozen reasons why your cat feels that urge to eat litter. Severe and non-severe both. As a responsible parent, you should be aware of them to make sure that your cat is ok? In this blog, we will try to cover all the reasons why do cats eat litter and is it something serious if you find your kitten eating litter? lastly, what steps should you take to overcome it?
Also Read:Can cats be emotional support animals?
Why is my cat eating litter?
Looking to Apply for an ESA Letter for Your Pet
Get Started by following these Steps:
1. Start FIlling up the ESA Evaluation form with your details.
2. Get Evaluated by a Local ESA Doctor once the submission is complete.
3. Get Approved and Receive your Letter In Your Email.
You can check whether your cat is anaemic or not via checking its gums and mouth. If your cat has bluish or pale gum, it must face blood deficiency, which could be because of anaemia.
Also Read: Best Cat Food: A Complete Guide for your Cat
Feline pica/Pica in cats
Feline infectious peritonitis (FIP)
Coprophagy is common in dogs, and did you know it can happen in cats too. No matter how unpleasant and weird it sounds, it is true. Some cats eat their faeces, and for that very reason, you must have seen your cat eating litter along with the faeces. It’s a severe medical condition on its own, so one should consult a vet if their cat does this.
A healthy cat diet includes a high amount of protein and an appropriate quantity of fats and carbs. Along with this, their diet should also contain Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, L-Carnitine, Magnesium, Pyruvate Kinase, Sodium, Taurine sources of food.
Also Read: Human Foods that Your Cat can Eat
Litter is Tasty
Can cats eat Kitty litter?What happens if a cat eats kitty litter?
Still, Natural or not, litter eating habits are not suitable for cats. Natural materials won’t be toxic, but it’s not good for your cat to eat litter in the long term.
How to stop kittens from eating litter?
- If you think the reason behind cat eating litter is boredom, then remedy is easy! Make sure to keep your cat busy. Play with your Feline, buy them some toys and food puzzles. These are enough to keep your cat occupied.
- You can train your cat whenever you spot your cat eating litter by dragging their attention toward you. However, it will take time; slowly, your cat will understand that it shouldn’t eat litter.
- Have a look at your cat’s diet. Does your cat diet have all the necessary macro and micronutrients? A poor diet can also be why your cat eats litter; therefore, you must make sure that your cat’s diet is filled with required nutrients.
The above ways can be helpful if you are sure that there is nothing serious with your cat and you can manage the situation with a little effort. However, reasons can be serious too, like anaemia, Coprophagia, FIP, Pica in cats, etc.; for this, you must take professional help. It’s better to consult a vet as only they can tell the real reason behind cat eating litter, how serious it is, and how to overcome that?
About Post Author
Occasionally, she writes for a living too! When she is not writing, you can find her hiking on rocky mountains, sipping coffee in cozy cafes, and haunting local bookstores!