Updated Guide 2023
How to Get an Emotional Support Animal Letter?
What is an Emotional Support Animal?
An emotional Support Animal is an animal that provides therapeutic benefits to its owner by alleviating the symptoms of their mental or emotional disability. A disabled individual can heal with the emotional assistance of an animal. That’s the reason why these animals are called Emotional Support Animals.
An emotional support animal is not different from other animals. What makes them different is their assistance, which can cure psychiatrically disabled persons through their companionship.
Almost any animal can be an Emotional Support Animal as long as it provides emotional assistance to its owner. From dog to cat, Squirrel to Rabbit, Cow to Chicken, and Fish to an Alligator, you can choose almost anyone!
Benefits of an Emotional Support Animal?
Cure Mental Illness
An emotional support animal can cure mental illnesses like anxiety, depression, panic attacks in its owners.
Studies have shown that the Emotional Support animal can help people suffering from years of trauma.
Emotional support animal make people feel comfortable and confident even in socially anxious situations.
Emotional Support Animal Owners usually have a high level of serotonin and dopamine (happiness Hormone).
What is an ESA letter?
Call (480) 420-3712 for Assistance
ESA Letter for Housing
This ESA Letter allows the tenants to savour the protections offered by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) under the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 (FHA). As per this act, an ESA letter holder cannot be discriminated against by a landlord in any Housing property based on their disability.
Due to protection by housing laws, with the help of the ESA letter for Housing, tenants can stay on any rental property without paying any extra charges.
This ESA letter is valid for one whole year.
ESA Letter for Travel
As per the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA), passengers who have an ESA letter can travel by their emotional support animal on the plane without paying any extra charges. These privileges usually are not offered to other pet and pet owners.
Note*: As per a recent announcement by the US Department of Transportation in January 2021, airlines have no obligation to allow ESA on their flights.
So, it’s better to confirm this over a call before booking a flight, and if they let so, don’t forget to submit an ESA letter for travel to prove that your pet is an emotional support animal.
Click to check; airlines are still allowing ESA on their planes.
However, if you have a PSD letter, your dog will still be allowed to travel freely on flights.
Who can write an ESA letter?
- A Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
- A Licensed Behavioral Therapist
- A Licensed Addiction Therapist
- A Licensed Cognitive-Behavioral Therapist
- A licensed psychiatrist
- A licensed psychologist
- A licensed Professional Counselor
- A licensed doctor qualified to conduct mental health assessments
- A Licensed Clinical Social Worker
- Any Licensed Mental Health Professional
How to Qualify for an ESA Letter?
A few medical conditions that the recently generated DSM-V ESA qualifications list includes
- Panic Attacks
- Acute Stress Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- Learning Disorders
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity disorder
- Substance-related disorder (alcohol, drugs)
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Personality Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder
- Sexual disorder
- Developmental coordination disorder
- Autism and many more
How to Get An ESA Letter?
It all will start when you hit that ” Apply ESA Letter” Button.
Once you click “New Patient Register“, you will reach our “Evaluation Form.”
Filling up this form is as easy as a,b,c.
Let’s walk through the whole process of getting an ESA letter one by one.
Fill up the Medical FormOnce you reach the form, click on the next button to Get Started. The form is divided into three following parts;
Patient’s DetailsFill in all the Patient (your) details from the name, gender, DOB to all the residential and contact information like email address and Phone number.
Pet Details Once you click on next, you will reach the Pet Details section.
- Clarify that you are submitting the form before getting a pet or after getting a pet.
- In case you already have a pet, Fill out all the pet details like name, breed, age, gender, and weight.
- Fill in details of all the pets if you apply for more than one pet.
How are you feeling Once you click on “submit to proceed”, you will reach the How are you feeling section.
Please answer all the questions carefully and honestly. Your answers will help the health professional to understand your mental illness properly.
- This section requires you to choose any of the mental conditions described in the application form. The page includes some general conditions like anxiety, Stress, PTSD, Depression, ADHD, or any other.
- The next part of the form is Created according to the medical condition you initially chose.
- The questions will be True or False type and descriptive ones too. These questions are based on your feelings and reactions to certain events.
Special Note Fill out details like your contact number, email address carefully to avoid further complications.
You can reach out to our CCE team if you find any difficulty filling the form. Drop a message or ring a Bell on +1 4804203712. We are here to help you 24*7.
Choose the ESA letter you are willing to purchase
Once you have filled out the form, Choose Your Desired Package.
- Pick the ESA letter you want to buy. ESA for Housing or ESA for Travel.
- Mention the number of pets that you want to get a letter for.
- Choose yes, if you have some extra forms to fill out.
- We have a standard 24-hour delivery policy. However, you can fasten the delivery to as quick as two hour as well by choosing rush delivery option.
Once you choose your package, you can proceed with our secure payment process. We accept payment with PayPal, Credit Card, and even debit cards.
You would get the full cashback you paid for our service letter initially; if your ESA Letter got denied.
Evaluation ProcessYour part of the process is almost completed. Now, leave the next part on us.
- We check the state you mentioned in the Patient’s detail section and soon the Form directs to your state’s licensed health professional.
- Our health professional will evaluate your application from the details you mentioned in your form. The health professional will check whether your mental disorder qualifies as per ESA federal laws. Along with this, the health professional will assess whether your mental illness requires the assistance of an Emotional Support Animal.
- If you haven’t mentioned some necessary details properly on the form required for a fair evaluation; our health professional will contact you via the number you provided in your form.
Receive your ESA Letter
- Suppose the health professional finds out that an ESA assistance can alleviate symptoms of your mental illness with the assistance of an emotional support animal. In that case, they will approve your application to have an emotional support animal.
- Our health professional will write an ESA letter mentioning their medical license details, ESA letter details like issue date, expiry date, and specifically, say that your mental illness requires an ESA assistance on an official Letterhead.
- We will email the ESA letter to the Email address you filled in the Patient Detail Section.
- You will receive your ESA letter within 24 hours you fill-up the form.
- In the case of the Rush delivery ESA letter, you will receive your ESA letter as you choose whether 2-hour rush delivery or 6 Hour Rush Delivery.
Fast ESA Letter is happy to help their customers if they find any problem submitting the ESA Letter to the Landlord. We are just one call away.
As you can see, the process is easy peasy. On top of that, our CCE team is always available to help you.
We at Fast ESA Letter believe in providing an honest service for that very reason; our Evaluation form is specially created and assembled by a licensed health professional team.
With years of experience in ESA service, our health professionals ensure that our whole process of “How To Get An ESA Letter” follows ESA guidelines set by the United States ESA federal Laws.
What does an ESA letter look like?
We consider that till now, it must be clear to you that only an ESA letter signed by a state-licensed health professional can certify your pet as an emotional Support Animal. However, many fake sites claim to make your pet an emotional support animal with their fake ESA registration by registering your pet in their fake database. No ESA laws protect animals registered on some scam site database.
Even talking specifically about ESA letters, many fraudsters provide fake ESA letters. We have listed a few ESA letter requirements that mark the authenticity of an ESA letter;
ESA Letter should be on an Official LetterheadWe want to clarify that a legitimate ESA letter is not any piece of paper or a card; it is an authentic document written on the LMHP’s official letterhead. Business Stamp of LMHP’s Logo marks the authenticity of a legitimate ESA letter.
Complete Details of LMHP (licensed mental health practitioner)An ESA Letter must contain the following details of the state-licensed health professional:
- Name and specialty of the doctor
- Type of medical license of the doctor
- Issue date and expiry date of doctor’s medical license
- Contact information of health professional
- Firstly the ESA letter must contain the field in which the doctor is specialized, whether a therapist, psychologist, physiatrist, etc.
- Other than that, the doctor’s license number should be clearly visible along with the state in which the doctor is licensed. The doctor’s license’s issuance and expiry date should also need to be mentioned.
- Many sites are available on the internet that can tell you whether the doctor’s license number is genuine or not. You can check that too.
- Contact Information like address and contact number is also mandatory.
ESA letter Should specify the intent it is serving
- An LMHP should mention the type of mental or emotional illness for which the Patient is taking assistance of an animal.
- However, the Fair Housing Act demands the LMHP to mention on the ESA letter that the Patient’s mental illness is qualified to have an ESA Letter.
- Besides qualifying the medical condition, health professionals should also state that the ESA’s assistance can alleviate a patient’s mental or emotional illness symptoms.
- ESA Letter for Travel must contain details as per Air Carrier Access Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. The main aim of these elements is to highlight the approval by the health care professional for the Patient to travel with an emotional support animal.
How to Spot a Fake ESA Letter, Instantly?
It’s easier to get spammed whenever we take an online service. However, that won’t happen in case you are getting an ESA letter online by just being conscious of the following points An ESA letter service is fake, if:
- The price is too good to be true. You can compare the costs of the ESA letter service provider with other sites, and if the price is way too low, then for sure they are hoaxers.
- Instead of an ESA letter to verify a pet as an ESA, they claim to register your pet on their database.
- Service providers are claiming instantly to give ESA letters after paying them.
- There is no mention of an evaluation process by a state-licensed health professional.
- They don’t have any customer care executive team details like contact numbers and email addresses to reach out to.
Before checkout, you can ask for a free sample of an ESA letter from the provider and Look, if any of the points mentioned below match with the samples that you received, then possibly you are about to get scammed;
- The letter is not on an official Letterhead.
- No mention of the health professional.
- The health professional details like license number, license expiry, issue date, and contact details are missing.
- Health professionals are not licensed in your state.
- The issue date and Expiry date of the ESA letter are wrong or even absent.
- Section regarding pet details and Patient’s mental illness approval is also missing.
What are the Benefits of Having an ESA Letter?
So, it’s quite evident that adopting an emotional support animal has several benefits. However, What is the use of certifying a pet as an ESA animal? Well, it’s not one, in fact, numerous. Certifying a pet with an ESA letter is a Win-Win game because of the following reasons;
Legal right to stay with your pet on a rental propertyAn ESA Letter gives Legal Right to stay with your pet even in no-pet rental apartments. As per the fair housing act, no landlord can refuse you to stay with your emotional support animal if you show them your pet’s ESA letter.
No need to pay extra ChargesEven if some landlords allow pets in their building but demand extra rental and security charges to keep a pet in the building, it is more beneficial for ESA parents than other pet parents as they don’t have to pay any extra charges. Submitting an ESA letter will give them free access to stay with their pet. This privilege also comes under the protection offered by the Fair Housing Act.
Keep the pet in School Hostels or College dormsInstitutions and Schools are aware of the fact that due to the pressure and stress of studies, most students are suffering from emotional and mental disorders. For proper upbringing and growth of students, colleges and schools allow students to keep their pets in hostels and dorms to those students who seek emotional benefits from their pets. Normal pets are not allowed in most cases; that’s why you need to submit an ESA letter in your school or college to prove that your pet is an emotional support animal.
Bring your ESA to the OfficeAlthough no ESA law prohibits refusing ESA in the workplace, getting an ESA letter for your pet does mark the genuineness of the need for an ESA for you. You can show the ESA letter to your Employer and explain how staying with your ESA is necessary for you and will help you to excel in your work.
Carry your ESA to an AirbnbThe Fair Housing Act enables the patients to carry their ESA to an Airbnb with them. We understand that travelling alone and staying away from home with your ESA can be difficult if you have a mental health condition. That’s why submitting an ESA letter while booking an Airbnb can allow you to stay with your pet without paying any extra charges.
Travel with your ESAEarlier Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) obliged airlines to allow ESA on their flights. However, after January 2021, airlines have no obligation to allow ESA travel. That’s why some airlines charge for ESA travel, and some don’t. Those airlines who still allow ESA on their flights won’t charge ESA owners extra fees, only if they submit an ESA letter to prove their pet as an Emotional Support Animal.
Take your pet to a public placeMany restaurants, Bars, Clubs, and cafes understand the need for ESA’s for mentally ill customers, and that’s why they allow the entry of ESA in their property. Not only the entrance facility, but these restaurants also offer special play areas and delightful treats for ESAs to feel comfortable there. However, these benefits are not for the regular pet, so you need to show them an ESA letter at the reception during entry.
What Makes ESA Service Provider Legitimate and trustable?
Hardworking Customer Care Executive Team
100% Legitimacy and Customer Support
Fast ESA Letter aims to serve every single customer. We don’t think it’s right that a patient who is already suffering from mental issues loses their right to stay with their pet just because of financial issues.
Instead of absurd benefiting, we were always clear that we would help each customer. For this very reason, we have genuine prices that everyone can afford.
Our ESA letters are cheaper than any other ESA service provider on the internet. The costs not only cover the ESA letter but also the extra help like necessary calls to the Landlord (if required), etc.
Unlike other service providers, we guarantee 24-hour delivery inside this package instead of charging extra. Extra Pet fees and prices for filling additional forms are also very genuine and reasonable as per the doctor’s service.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an ESA letter?
What does an ESA letter need to say?
An ESA Letter claims that the Patient is seeking health benefits from their pet in order to alleviate symptoms of their mental or emotional illness. So, an ESA letter must include this along with the pet details like specific animal/breed, etc.
Now, these details must be declared by a state-licensed health professional. So, the letter must contain all the details of the health professional, including name, specialization, medical license number, state date of issuance, termination, and contact details.
To mark the originality of the ESA letter, it must include the ID number, issue date, and expiry date of the ESA letter. The ESA Letter Service providers must clear the purpose of the ESA letter for Housing or travel on the letterhead.
An ESA letter written on official letterhead with the stamp and signature of a state-licensed health professional can be regarded as a legitimate ESA letter.
Can a therapist write an ESA letter?
Yes, a therapist can write an ESA letter only if they are licensed in the Patient’s state for which they are writing an ESA letter.
When do I need to renew my ESA letter?
An ESA Letter is valid for one year. So, a patient has to renew an Emotional Support Animal letter after every twelve months.
Where can I register my ESA?
Firstly, there is no term named register an ESA. Although many scammers on the internet claim ESA registration on their private databases can verify a pet as an emotional support animal. However, no state in the United States of America provides protection under ESA federal laws to these fakely registered pets. Only an ESA letter signed and approved by a state-licensed health care professional can verify your pet as an emotional support animal.
How to tell if an ESA letter is legitimate?
To check whether an ESA letter is legitimate or not. Look out for the following;
- An ESA letter is written on official letterhead.
- An ESA letter is written by a state-licensed health care professional.
- An ESA Letter contains the license’s number, expiry, and issue date.
- The ESA letter states that the Patient is qualified to take the assistance of an emotional support animal.
- The ESA Letter contains the request for reasonable accommodation for the ESA
- Need of Patient to travel with emotional support animals in ESA letter for travel.
- ESA letter ID number, issue date and expiry date must be mentioned in the letter.
Is it hard to get an ESA letter?
Can a Physician Write an ESA Letter?
A therapist, a psychiatrist, a doctor, and even a counsellor can evaluate you for an ESA letter. However, in no case can a physician assess a person for an ESA letter and write an ESA letter.
Physicians have the right to write a service animal letter but not an ESA letter. Only a healthcare professional dealing with mental and emotional illnesses can write an ESA letter.
Can a nurse practitioner write an ESA letter?
I get pain attacks. Am I eligible to have an ESA letter?
I lost my ESA letter; what should I do?
I am Shifting with my dog to New York next month. Will my Virginia ESA letter work there?
No, you have to get a New ESA letter. As per ESA Federal Laws, only that ESA letter is legitimate, signed and approved by your state’s licensed health professional. So, your Virginia ESA letter is of no use in New york. You have to get a new one, approved by a New York Licensed health professional.
Can Cats be ESA?
Yes, Cats can be Emotional Support Animals. On top of that, cats are the best choice if you are looking for a pet to make your emotional support animal.
Do I need to train my ESA Dog?
No, Emotional support dogs don’t need some special training. That’s what makes them different from service dogs. If any pet gives you emotional or mental support, they can be your Emotional Support Animal without any special training.