4804203712 [email protected]

Dog stung by bee: What to do?

Publish Date: November 21, 2021; Author:Blake Quinn
Dog stung by bee:
Home » Dog stung by bee: What to do?

You are looking for your tiny little living packet of happiness everywhere in the house. You take a look in the kitchen, your dining room, and even the washroom. There is no clue of him.

You call out his name as loud as you could, still no sign of him.

You wonder where on earth your pup is.

Well, at last, you reached your backyard.

Here he is, hiding behind the bushes.

It looks like your furry friend is again in the mood of hide and seek, just like every other day.

Well, their naughty behaviour sometimes puts us in great anxiety.

You again call out your pup’s name, still no response. In annoyance, you follow him and pick up your furry ball, with a whole mood to scold him.

As your eyes meet with your pup and you see his face, you lose your heartbeat for a minute.You ask yourself, Is this my dog?

Wait, of course, yes, who else has a stout and lazy brown beagle in this village.

But why is his face so swollen?

For sure, he had a heavy dinner last night, but Chicken fingers simply can’t make your dog fat in one night, and that too cannot just stick on his face.

So, what just happened to your dog?

You look around, and you notice bees everywhere in your yard

Symptoms of a Dog stung by Bee:

It is common in dogs to get stung by insects every now and then. Most of the time, dog parents cannot recognize whether their innocent dog became a victim of hornet sting, wasp sting, or it’s just a bee sting on dog.

If you want to be assured that a bee sting my dog, look out for the following symptoms:

  • Unusual swelling on the face, eyes, or other parts of the dog’s body.
  • Red spot or red patch on the dog’s body.
  • The dog is getting irritated with touch.
  • Your dog is scratching its body and feeling itchy.

Other than this, if you spot a beehive in the locality, something is suspicious. On top of that, a minor swelling that you found on your dog earlier spreads up within a day; then, surely, my dog got stung by a bee.
One or two bee stings won’t affect your dog much; however, multiple bee stings can be a severe issue. There are the following critical symptoms of a dog bee sting:

  • Nausea
  • Fainting
  • Uneasy breathing
  • Inflammation in dog stung by bee in mouth
  • A sudden decline in energy levels.

The seriousness of the condition intensifies in dog’s allergic to a bee stung. This condition can be life-threatening, and that’s why it’s best to visit an emergency dog hospital as soon as possible.

Anaphylactic Bee Reactions

Allergic bee sting dog directly face life risk. The main reason behind the danger in dogs stung by bees is the anaphylactic reactions. In these reactions, with the entry of a foreign stung substance, antibodies are produced in response by the body. These antibodies lower the blood pressure, the throat swells up, and it becomes impossible for your dog to breathe correctly. That’s why this situation is indicated as a dog emergency and needs the help of a dog emergency vet. After recovery, it is advised to carry EpiPen for future bee sting treatment if your dog is again stung by a bee.

Looking to Apply for an ESA Letter for Your Pet

Get Started by following these Steps:

1. Start FIlling up the ESA Evaluation form with your details.

2. Get Evaluated by a Local ESA Doctor once the submission is complete.

3. Get Approved and Receive your Letter In Your Email.

Apply Now

How to treat a bee sting?

Firstly, we advise you to calm down as, if the bee attack is not that severe a dog with bee sting can be treated at home too. If you are in a dilemma of how to treat a bee sting? We tried to simplify the treatment process for you. The process of bee sting treatment is simple can be done in two following parts :

Remove stringer:

The bee leaves its stinger inside the dog’s body, and this stinger continues to release its poison inside the pup’s body. That’s why it’s best to remove the stinger from your furry friend’s body as early as possible.

Remove the stringer with some card or tweezer. Use a tweezer with peculiar care as it can squeeze toxins inside your puppy’s body.

After stringer removal, apply a paste of baking soda and clean water on site of the attack.

Recovery phase:

The initial and most crucial steps are already done. Now comes the recovery process, for that, apply ice to calm the bee sting bump.

To reduce the itching and fast healing, give your dog any oral antihistamine medications like diphenhydramine (known with market names: Benadryl® and Vetadryl®).

Hydration is also an essential factor for quicker healing, so keep giving water to your dog from time to time.

Itching is common in a dog stung by a bee on paw or another part of the body. Consequently, the dog might feel an urge to scratch or bite the itchy section. For that, you can use an Elizabethan collar to cover the dog’s mouth.

You can treat cat stung by bee with a similar above-explained process. If you are looking for what to do when wasp stings? Well, the wasp sting treatment doesn’t require a stringer removal part as the wasp doesn’t leave its stinger inside the host’s body.

How long does a bee sting last on a dog?

Dog stung by bee will show symptoms of swelling, redness, or itchiness within half an hour. If the bee-stung on the face and eyes, your dog can even find difficulty in breathing. Usually, a dog bee sting can heal within a day or two. If the symptoms show no sign of healing, contact your dog’s vet.

When should I take my dog to the vet after a bee sting?

It totally depends on the condition of the bee sting dog; if just one or two bees attack your dog, then standard home treatment of bee sting can work like removing stringer, applying baking soda, and using ice to soothe the swelling.
However, if multiple bees attack the dog or if your dog is allergic to a bee sting, take your dog to a vet immediately.

Do bumble bees sting?

Yes, bumble bee sting. Bumble Bees are least likely to sting anyone, which is why bumblebee is also called humblebee. However, in situations of danger and survival, bumblebees sting. On top of that, unlike honeybees, bumblebees can sting multiple times, and the reaction can last up to hours.

Conclusion

Dogs, especially puppies, are always full of curiosity and excitement. Natural to their behaviour, with no clue what they are getting into, they sometimes end up in weird situations like getting stung by a bee. To overcome this situation, you should always be prepared, like keeping antihistamines in the house. Keeping your dog’s vet number in your emergency contact list would be best if situations seem to be slipping out of hand.

About Post Author

Darren M. Jorgensen has a fondness for all animals, though dogs especially, have a huge home in his heart. He enjoys quilting, making handcrafted soap and bodyworks and anything that produces practical products. Jorgensen lives with his own service dog who doubles as an Emotional Support Animal. He gets it.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.