Can dogs eat jalapenos? What if they ate too much?
There is no such delight as eating vegetables from your kitchen garden. You have grown them with effort and love. Not to forget that homegrown veggies are full of nutrients and taste. However, like everything in your house, your puppy marks its dynasty in your kitchen garden too. You go to your garden to gather jalapenos, tomatoes, mint to try a new recipe, and all you find is half-eaten tomatoes and no jalapenos.
Your pup has destroyed your months of hard work. Tomatoes, mint, jalapenos, all are gone.
“Can dogs eat jalapenos?”
“Can dogs eat spicy food?”
Funny creatures. Parenting a pup brings new thrills every day.
Spicy, sour, sweet, they are there to try anything. But the question is that Is it ok if your dog wants to try human foods like jalapeno?
Read till the end, to get your answer.
Can dogs eat green peppers (jalapenos)?
“Can dogs have pepper?”
It is not advisable to give your dog human foods like a jalapeno pepper. Although if a dog eating jalapeno, as such, that won’t be toxic for your dog. Canines have a pretty different kind of digestive system; that’s why your puppy won’t be able to digest jalapeno seeds.
Despite this fact, keeping your dog away from your food is very difficult. Your furry friend will always find a way to have a bite from your plate.
If your dog ate jalapeno, it might spit them out. However, if your pup manages to swallow jalapeno seeds, they might start sneezing, get anxious, start gulping water, get bloated or feel stomach pain after a while.
Can dogs taste spicy?
Taste Buds on our tongue help us to taste bitter, sweet, salty, sour, and even spices. Your pooch has the same taste buds but, sadly, very few. Humans have around 9000 taste buds, while dogs have only 1700. It doesn’t mean they can’t taste food; however, they can’t easily differentiate between the taste of different foods as we can do.
Firstly, jalapenos are not that spicy; on top of that, it takes a while for jalapeno seeds to reach the back of a dog’s tongue( where the taste buds, sensitive to sourness and spicy, reside). Even after touching the pup’s taste buds, pups don’t feel that much spiciness.
In case if jalapeno pepper is spicier, still your puppy might want more. Here, you need to control your dog’s diet as too much spicy food can affect your dog’s gut.
However, when it comes to serrano vs jalapeno, don’t even let your pup touch serrano as they are about two to four times hotter and can even arouse your pooch taste buds. After giving serrano, don’t be surprised if you find your dog eating grass frantically to suppress the spiciness.
Also Read : Dog Stye: Causes and Treatment
Are jalapenos bad for dogs?
Jalapeno pepper is very nutritious, full of vitamins, and a rich source of fiber. Jalapenos can even control blood sugar levels and fight infections.
Still, even after so many health benefits, jalapeno seeds have no single characteristic that can counter or suppress its side effects in dogs.
If your dog eats jalapeno seeds for a more extended period of time, there might be chances of the following health risks:
- Abdominal Pain
- Blood in stools
- Chronic anxiety
- Other gastrointestinal diseases.
Looking to Apply for an ESA Letter for Your Pet
Get Started by following these Steps:
1. Start FIlling up the ESA Evaluation form with your details.
2. Get Evaluated by a Local ESA Doctor once the submission is complete.
3. Get Approved and Receive your Letter In Your Email.
What Should I Do If my Dog ate jalapeno pepper?
Take an instance where your dog ate so many jalapenos or starts getting uneasy after having an even single jalapeno; follow the following steps to handle this situation;
- Curb their Anxiety: Firstly, give them water to drink if they get anxious after eating jalapenos. In a situation your pup still doesn’t feel good after drinking water, give them milk to neutralize spiciness on their taste buds.
- Place them in a selected area in your house: As such the dog won’t feel much spicy in the mouth. However, it might feel nauseous or start releasing frequent stools. To avoid the mess in your house, firstly place them in one good spot. Let them release all the jalapeno seeds out of their system.
- Painless stooling: Normally, your dog might feel hard to stool the next morning or on the same day due to the spiciness of jalapeno seeds. To avoid that, give them goat’s milk in advance to help them pass stools comfortably.
- Light diet: After episodes of vomiting and diarrhea, keep your dog on a simple diet of boneless meat, boiled rice, and goat’s milk for a day or two.
Out of misfortune, if your dog comes out to be allergic to jalapenos and starts showing symptoms difficult to handle, consult your pup’s vet immediately.
Even if your furry friend shows no severe symptoms, abnormalities, or uneasiness on the first time eating jalapenos, still, we don’t suggest you give them jalapeno pepper for the long run.
Can dogs eat jalapeno sausage?
Can dogs eat hot Cheetos?
Also Read :How to get rid of dog lice?
About Post Author
Occasionally, she writes for a living too! When she is not writing, you can find her hiking on rocky mountains, sipping coffee in cozy cafes, and haunting local bookstores!